Monday 9 May 2011

Funny or Not?


Have you heard of  Oban Bay Brewery? No, me neither. Not until I read yesterday's Scotland on Sunday. Seems they produce beers with "jokey" names (aimed at tourists they say) and that's got them into hot water with the Anti Alcohol Lobby and CAMRA.

The cause of this stooshie? A beer called Ginger Jakey - a jakey being a colloquialism in Scotland, for an alcoholic down and out. I'd have shown you the offending beer label, which is printed in the paper, but not on line, nor on the Oban Bay site, but instead a similar one from their web site.

Make your own mind up. SoS has the story here.

7 comments:

Jeff Pickthall said...

So it's an India Pale Ale ale?

Tandleman said...

So it would seem and it has a caramel aftertaste which I think you'll find is traditional in India Pale Ale Ales. (-;

RichardB said...

Doesn't offend me, sad that breweries have to resort to 'comedy' branding tho, it reminded me of these! http://www.directbeers.com/Bottled-Beers.php

Mark Dredge said...

They make beers with jokey names aimed at tourists?! I find that wrong in so many ways and it just says to me that the beer is going to be crap without even trying it!

Birkonian said...

Just not funny. I will endevour never to drink their beers.

Neville Grundy said...

I don't find these examples of jokey names particulary offensive, and if they annoy the anti-alcohol mafia (who are funded by the government to lobby the governmment, which to me is borderline corruption), that a bonus.

Names I don't like would include Slater’s Top Totty, Hart Brewery’s Dirty Debbie and BrewDog Trashy Blonde. However, despite the laddish marketing, these beers can be rather good, and my ex-girlfriend perversely used to delight in ordering beers with sexist names.

grig said...

There steel are "breweries"?